Sunday, August 9, 2009

babe babe babe

i'm an enabler too, ya dig, but working on it. 

new:
shackles

I want you to shackle me

not to your voice box

and not to your

pop

lock

and drop it,

but to the vision of your rhythm

where the rain hits your window

in beats of domestic violence,

I lower my senses

to “it never happened to me”

or to you.

But it stains the woman on 17th street

fumbling aimlessly

on a trail that leads to a bulls eye

looking a lot more like a clenched fist

than red and white circles

making bruised flowers grow on cheek bones,

planting seeds of emotional anxiety

and she

still

won’t

leave.

not that she needs my advice,

but I’d cradle her in basinet arms

til her throat gurgles of self fulfillment

and the split skin of those red lips becomes whole again.

 

And I can’t quit the ties you brought to me

And I want you to shackle me not to our inability to procreate naturally,

and I want you to shackle me not to your language,

breathing scratches down my vocal cords,

but bind me up into your prayers

of the religion

you might still believe in

as you blow smoke up to a full moon

and imagine the back bends of fallen virgins

pulling swollen sutures from your day dreams,

I just wanted you to realize

that there’s skin connecting you to me

through goose bumps and arthritis,

 ‘til death do us parting ways,

I’d hold a white flag to your sobriety,

I’d hold a white flag to being lost like your virginity.

All I wanted was for you to realize,

That all I wanted was a get away,

all I wanted was for you to realize

that while you were spurting verses

from tissue paper pages of fiction,

the woman of my madness

nestles quietly on city street,

humming hallelujah through yellow teeth,

but she’s still smiling

through beaten blindness

and cracked asphyxiation

I think in some other world,

She’s happier

And so much stronger than me.

 

I want you to shackle me

not to your bed post

but to your doorframe

where lost notches are etched into wood

hanging delicately like these tired heartstrings

 

and to be honest

I would have hung a mezuzah on the white frame,

but you seem to already know holiness by it’s first name

and I wonder if those notches are as deep as a broken rib cage

or if they fit the same measurements as abusive backhand rage

and it’s not ok

 

when she still wanders back to her slab of concrete

and lays stinging body to sleep

and dreams of sunlight

kissing the blackness of her eyes

into wings of blue iris’

pumping independence into her bloodstream

where no fist can pummel down reality

and truth be

she uses spilt blood

to tag the pavement

in words of cursive that might someday save us:

“I MAY NEVER ESCAPE THESE THINGS,

BUT THROUGH

EVERY

FIT

OF

FIST

AND BROKEN TOUCH OF REALITY,

MY FREEDOM

STILL

RINGS”

No comments: